Jean, along with money experts David Bach and Glinda Bridgforth, swept the nation with the Debt Diet series on The Oprah Show
. Now, Jean talks with David and Glinda about the results after concluding the yearlong project, during which each expert worked with a couple that was hugely in debt—to the tune of $25,000 and more. One million people have taken on the Debt Diet challenge—maybe it's time to push your
skepticism aside and take action. Here are some of the success strategies that Jean, David and Glinda employed:
- Shift the focus. Stop thinking about what you've done, and start thinking about what you can do to repair the damage.
- Lower those interest rates. Call up your credit card companies and renegotiate. They might not respond on the first call, but eventually, it will be worth your while—one couple saved $15,000.
- Pay your bills on time. Many people underestimate the importance of this.
- If you're going to refinance your home, you need to be firm in revamping your attitudes and beliefs. It's not a quick fix, and don't take it lightly
- Find a balance. It's like any other diet—if you go too far in one direction, you won't be able to keep up your good work.
- Increase your earnings by taking on extra hours and part-time jobs.
- Don't underestimate the power of teamwork. Couples who plan together have a brighter future—you're proud of each other, your lines of communication are open, and you are working together for your future.
- Surround yourself with people who support you. If your old shopping buddy can't deal with your changes, maybe they weren't really your buddy to begin