You tell your best friends everything, but maybe not how much you make or what you owe on your credit card. Money can be a hard thing to talk about, but it doesn't have to be. Gather some friends and let Jean Chatzky help you open the financial floodgates with discussion questions to break the ice, resources and three tasks you can do this month!
- Save $5,000 in a year! Do you and your friends have what it takes to save as much as $5,000 in a year?
- Can you be your own financial planner? Determine if you're a do-it-yourself investor or if you're better suited to working with a financial planner.
- How to get a mortgage or refinace your home : If you're thinking of buying a home or refinancing your mortgage in the coming year, it has never been more important for you to get your other house—your financial one—in order.
- Balancing your career and family : How do you make time for the job you want and the family you love?
- Shop smarter : Stop impulse shopping and turn your quest for a great deal into a great deal of savings!
- Save for college now : When it comes to college tuition costs, the numbers are downright scary. Here are three tasks that you and your group can work on this month to make college savings a reality.
- Teach your kids about money : Teaching children how to spend and save is one of the most important jobs you have as a parent. When should you start?
- Have "The Talk" with your parents : They taught you about the birds and the bees, but how do you tlak to your aging parents about how much money they have for their golden years?
- Choosing the right health insurance : Learn how to narrow down the choices and choose the health insurance that is best for you and your family.
- The paperwork no one likes to think about : Thinking about negative life events won't make them happen. But preparing for the future will protect you and your loved ones from fate.
- Get a job! Whether you're re-entering the workforce after raising kids or looking to take the next step in your career, your Money Group can help you jump-start the search.
- Plan a party on a budget : Throw a wonderful party that everyone will cherish without spending the equivalent of the GDP of a small country.
Printed from Oprah.com on Saturday, May 18, 2013
© 2012 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.