Suze Orman
Photo: Robert Trachtenberg

A: Let this be a lesson to those preparing to walk down the aisle: Yes, you need a prenuptial agreement. If you stay together, great—you will never need to use it. But if you part ways, the agreement will make the dissolution far easier.

Get more info on prenups and other essential money tips for your relationship

I know this is difficult to accept, but right now, helping your son pay for college is not nearly as important as regaining your financial footing—which is the only way to ensure that you'll be able to continue providing for all your children. So contribute by helping your son plot a realistic college strategy. Suggest that he consider public school. While many private colleges can cost $35,000 or more a year, the average tab for public four-year colleges is under $10,000 a year for in-state residents. Even if you don't qualify for financial aid—and I encourage you to apply anyway—your son can still take out a federal Stafford loan. He can borrow up to $5,500 freshman year and as much as $7,500 junior year. And while you could also borrow through the federal PLUS program, think clearly about your priorities. More debt is not what you need right now. This is the time for you to shake off the bad divorce and focus on improving your long-term financial stability. That's one of the best things you can do for yourself and your children.

Money in the does it get there?

Ask Suze your questions about debt and saving money