- Do you often feel buyer's remorse?
- How often are you returning items? (Jean's take: Buying and returning can become its own kind of addiction...not to mention it's a huge time suck.)
- What are some strategies that have helped keep your shopping under control? (Jean's take: For years I couldn't resist a sale on clothes. I'd come home with bags full of items I'd never wear. Now, once a season I scour my closet to see what I need. A new brown suit? Sandals in a neutral color? I decide how much I'm willing to spend on each item. Then I go to the store and shop specifically for those items. As long as an item is in my price range, I can buy it, whether it's on sale or not. If it's not on my list, it doesn't go into the dressing room. Period.)
- What are some of your most meaningful shopping experiences—your wedding gown? First car? (Jean's take: I especially remember outfitting the nursery when my son and daughter were born. What could be more heartwarming? Shopping trips that have a story behind them are often worth more than any bargain buy.)
- Where do you think you'll have trouble cutting back shopping?
- Who can help you through those trouble spots?
Published on July 15, 2003