How to Be Ambitious:
- Too often, we buy into the cultural idea that if we admit our professional goals, our personal life will suffer. In reality, we can be ambitious without compromising our integrity and ethics, Debra says.
- Earn your worth. First, find out what the market can bear, then charge in the upper two-thirds of that amount.
- Take the credit you deserve to get more power and recognition, Debra says. If you're constantly giving away the credit, other people will pass you by and take away all the plum opportunities.
- Just say thank you. If someone is praising your work, saying thank you is a way of accepting their compliments, while still feeling humble.
- If a client e-mails you a complementary note, feel free to forward it on to your boss with a simple "FYI" as the subject, Debra says.
- Be willing to fight for yourself. If you come to the negotiating table, negotiate your raise until you get what you are worth.