When one viewer explained her decorating state of emergency—she and her
husband wanted more spark in their boring apartment—it was up to Thom Filicia to
save the day. As the decorating guru on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, he was up for the challenge.
How to Bring Life to an Apartment
- Painting with bright colors and bold patterns adds interest to rooms. It keeps drama high and costs low.
- Use stacking cubes to keep the entertainment area organized and tidy.
- In a small space, oversized furniture can be overwhelming. Use smaller pieces to make the room seem larger.
- If there's a piece you already enjoy, like a beautiful rug, use it to influence your color scheme.
- There's a reason they call it "mood lighting." Use different lamps to set the tone of your home.
- Use accessories to bring out your personality, whether it's fun, sexy, studious, artsy, or anything else.
Furniture by Crate and Barrel, www.crateandbarrel.com
Accessories by Pier 1 Imports, www.pier1.com
Painting by Creative Engineering, (718) 937-5292
Moving services by L Trucking, (917) 731-7435
Paint by Benjamin Moore, www.benjaminmoore.com
For this apartment, Thom worked with Benjamin Moore paint. He used AC-38 North Hampton Beige and HC-145 Van Courtland Blue for the stripes, AC-39 Mt. Rushmore Rock on the doors, and 2004-10 Deep Rose for the mirror.See a demonstration