Makeover maven Kitty Bartholomew transforms a dreary concrete patio into a
surf lover's dream!
Create a Surf Lover's Patio
Specials Thanks to:
Lay indoor/outdoor Astroturf over cleaned concrete patio.
Enclose a portion of the patio with three lattice walls and a roof.
Use the lattice to hang accessories, like a surfboard and wetsuit.
Create a tiki bar under the lattice! Cover the outside of the bar with grass thatching.
Build a planter to give the patio a tropical feel. Glue or hang seashells on the outside of the planter.
Add tiki torches to the planter and tiki lights around the bar.
Choose an outdoor table and place four patio chairs in bright fabrics around it.
Create an instant beach hut! Use thatching to cover the patio umbrella.
If you have shutters on the outside of your house, brush them lightly with a paint wash—not too perfectly—to give them a sun-bleached look.
See a demonstration of this makeover
- Cabana Joe's for patio furniture manufactured by Lane Venture, Inc.
- Benson Imports, Inc. umbrellas and bamboo accessories
For more information: 714-893-3217
- Surfing accessories by
- Landscape and Leisure in Wilmington, North Carolina for plants and trees
For more info: 910-452-5349
- Gardeners Eden for copper cone torches
- Pier 1 Imports
- Home Depot
- Case Handymen Services construction crew
Raleigh, North Carolina: 919-781-4030
Published on February 20, 2003