- Do a Wear Test. Go through your closet item by item. If you haven't worn an outfit in a year, or hope to fit into it again someday, it's time to donate it to someone who can wear it today.
- Avoid the Munchies. Never store wool sweaters in cardboard boxes, which offer no protection against hungry moths. Clear plastic or canvas containers with tight lids are best. If your space is limited, enlist an empty suitcase.
- Give and Take. When you buy a new piece of clothing, donate an old one to charity.
- Don't be a Basket Case. Wire drawers allow air to circulate and let you see what's at the bottom of the pile; components for a double-drawer system cost $43 at Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Get On a Roll. Keep belts tidy by storing them coiled in an open, divided tray; $13 at Bed Bath & Beyond.
- See It All Clearly. Shoes are simple to find in these transparent plastic stacking boxes with drawers; $7 and $10 from The Container Store.
Browse the five best hangers.