Parting with the belongings of a deceased loved one is never easy. Peter
Walsh has some strategies to make letting go a little
How to Free Yourself of Memory Clutter
- Realize that if you let go of an item, you do not let go of that person. People do not live on through material items.
- Hold on to items that only bring back positive memories, not painful ones.
- If there are items that encourage you to keep up a ritual based on grief, consider letting it go and focus on the positive instead.
- Make sure your space has a great representation of the past but also leaves room for you to celebrate the present and plan for the future.
- Keep the items that truly represent your loved one. To help, use this three-step process:
- Step 1: Place all items in another area.
- Step 2: If you're looking to renovate a room, decide how you want to feel in that space.
- Step 3: Sort everything into three categories: charity donations, keepsakes and items for a memory chest.
Published on January 01, 2006