What Tina and James love about their home:
- Even on overcast days, there's so much natural light in the house that it feels very uplifting. (Above: De Sede of Switzerland chairs surround a Heltzer table in the semicircular breakfast area overlooking the back patio.)
- The large expanses of glass permit the family to observe nature all year long.
- The rectilinear house is long and low and does not overpower its surroundings.
- After they designed the house on the computer—establishing the footprint, layout, rooflines, ceiling height, and window arrangements—Tina and James didn't have to make any more changes, which saved them time and money.
- The 11-foot-high ceilings provide a feeling of simplicity, spaciousness and light.
- The flexible layout allows for bright, open communal spaces as well as for smaller, private bedrooms.
Printed from Oprah.com on Saturday, March 8, 2014
© 2014 OWN, LLC. All Rights Reserved