Midas Sets the Table
Credits: Photograph by Bob Hiemstra, styling by Sam Cook
In classic patterns, modest bands of gold rim the edges of plates and glassware, and symmetrical floral designs are set off by a white background.
If you are going to invest in china service, "nothing equals the lush warmth of a table set with gold adorned china," says Meryl Gold of Michael C. Fina Co. Pick what you love, she advises, then be sure to use it often, for more than just fancy occasions. "Even pizza tastes better when you eat it off a gold plate."
- Brass dome, Burke's Antiques
- Vera Lace Gold salad plate, Vera Wang at Wedgwood
- Rivoli decanter, Baccarat
- Golden Inspirations salad plate, Sears
- Victoria Strawberry Gold bread-and-butter plate, Minton
- and 21. Laetitia salad fork and spoon by Odiot, Bergdorf Goodman
- and 20. Elysée dinner fork and knife by Puiforcat, Bergdorf Goodman
- Splendor di Tavola buffet plate, Villeroy & Boch
- Westchester dinner plate, Lenox
- Geranium dish, William Yeoward Crystal
- Place-card holder, Smythson of Bond Street
- Vetro Gold tumbler, Arte Italica
- Lady Hamilton champagne flute, Moser
- Gold Optic wineglass by Nason & Moretti, Bergdorf Goodman
- Saltcellar by Buccellati, Michael C. Fina
- Cup and saucer, Bernardaud
- and 26. Antique Baroque forks and cake server, Wallace Silversmiths
- Gosford dinner plate, William Yeoward Crystal
- and 27. Arabian Nights dinner plate and cake plate, both Meissen (Michael C. Fina)
- Tablecloth and napkin, E. Braun & Co.