- Paint your walls a color that matches your room's strongest architectural feature, such as a brick wall or fireplace.
- Faux wood floors are a great alternative to carpet. It's inexpensive, easy to install and comes with a padded backing.
- Don't use bed sheets as "custom upholstery." Buy slipcovers or make them yourself.
- Shelves, framed pictures and other items you hang should be scaled to match the size of the wall.
- Replace old mattresses and find a bed frame that suits your tastes.
- Designate one area for storage and use proper storage units.
- Window treatments should be consistent throughout the room.
Special Thanks to:
- Crate & Barrel
- California Closets
- Home Depot
- Expo Design Center
- Kohler Fixtures
- Kehoe Designs Special Event Decor
- G.S. Carpet Designs
- Bartlett Shower Door Company
See a demonstration of this makeover