How to Paint Patterns
- Pattern sample
- Paint in appropriate colors
- Chalk and level to draw lines
- Tape that will resist paint
- Paint rollers of various sizes
- Stiff bristled brush
- Find a sample of a pattern you like.
- Paint base coat if necessary.
- Decide on the size of your pattern.
- Recreate the pattern on your walls using chalk.
- To guarantee a straight line, apply tape edge to chalk line.
- Complete one wall at a time!
- Paint horizontal lines first; when dry, remove tape and paint vertical lines.
- To get the effect of fabric, drag a stiff bristle brush drag it through the wet paint.
- To get lighter stripes, dilute the paint with glaze.
- Remember, any place you have taped will preserve the color prior to its application.
See a demonstration