Peter and his neighbors hosted a neighborhood garage sale that brought in hundreds of shoppers. He says the secret to their success was incorporating humor and organization into the event. Here are some of Peter's tips:
- Make creative and funny signs that draw attention to your garage sale. Peter says that a sign stating "Naked Garage Sale!" or "Mom and Dad are away, liquidating everything!" are sure ways to get people to swing by your sale.
- Hold "blue light specials" every hour to move merchandise.
- Use large tables to lay stuff out.
- Keep similar things together—books on one table, clothing on another.
- Have a plugged-in electrical cord handy so people can test anything that is electrical.
- Don't lie about stuff you are selling—if it doesn't work, don't sell it.
- Have $50 worth of singles on hand and keep money in a fanny pack around your waist so that you don't lose it.