- Carry indoor design techniques to your outdoor project.
- Install some manner of outdoor shelter—even the cheapest will serve you for several seasons.
- Envision your outdoor space as a series of comfortable and functional zones.
- Make the most of possibilities like fire and water that are rarely possible indoors.
- Treat your outdoor space as inherently less comfortable than your indoor spaces.
- Think that a lack of temperate weather year-round means it's not worth designing a wonderful outdoor space.
- Underestimate flower gardens as anything less than the most satisfying décor there is.
- Think an urban outdoor space is not worth decorating.
More from Frank Fontana
Published on June 10, 2010