Oprah says that one of the best things she's learned about self-defense is, never allow yourself to be taken to a second location. It's important to be in control and to use your head in the moment of crisis.
Here are some other self-defense tips:
Trust Your Instincts
- Don't be fooled by appearance—rapists don't always look dangerous.
- If you feel like you're being pressured, coerced, dismissed or ignored, act on that feeling and remove yourself from the situation.
- Don't be afraid to make waves.
- Realize that men misinterpret women, so send clear verbal and non-verbal messages.
It's important to have a plan in the event of an attack. Build your confidence by taking a self-defense class – it'll empower you with the skills to defend yourself.
- Yell forcefully, "No! Go away! I don't want trouble! No! No!
- Go for the nose with the heel of your hand.
- Go for the groin with your elbows and knees.