Every year nearly 450 Americans die and more than 2,000 are hospitalized after inhaling the colorless, odorless toxic gas that's impossible to detect on your own. Many indoor heating sources (space heaters, furnaces, fireplaces) generate carbon monoxide (CO), and levels of this gas can build up quickly if your heaters aren't properly ventilated. Since symptoms of CO poisoning—persistent headache, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea—are often mistaken for the flu, early detection is critical. Make sure every heating source is vented, and install a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home. Taking these steps to protect yourself now—and in the future—will put you on track to having your healthiest year yet.
Next: How doctors stay healthy through winter