Preparing for Menopause
Dr. Northrup has devised a "hormonal balancing program" to create physical and emotional well-being.
Increase Your Intake of:
- Herbal supplements: such as dong quai, chaste berry, black cohosh, licorice root (see the Menopausal Symptoms Chart for a complete list)
- Flaxseed: lignans, fiber and Omega-3 fats (such as fatty fish)
- Bioflavonoids in fruits and vegetables: cherries, cranberries, blueberries, bilberries, whole grains, grape skins and red clover)
- Green tea
- Smoking: Dr. Northrup recommends quitting.
- Aspartame (found in some diet sodas)
- Highly glycemic foods: white bread, white rice, sweets and candies. Eating them during mid-day instead of the evening helps your metabolism.
- Refine and high-glycemic-index carbohydrates
- Grain products
- Red wine and alcohol
- Eat at least three meals a day.
- Focus on portion size, not calories.
- Eat protein at each meal.
- Eat a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables daily.
- Eat healthy fats each day.