Each year in the United States, 140,000 children wind up in emergency rooms due to poison—and no poison kills more children than iron. It's a common mineral found in colorful, sweet children's multivitamins. Because a vitamin overdose can be serious, even fatal, it's important to know the facts from Dr. Winnie King.
If Your Child Has Eaten Too Many Vitamins:
1. Get your child to the hospital immediately. There is no home remedy for iron poisoning.
2. Do not induce vomiting with ipecac or any other method.
3. You have only four hours after ingestion to perform chelation.
More Safety Facts:
Printed from Oprah.com on Thursday, June 20, 2013
© 2012 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.