Thanks for participating in our campaign to stop smoking!
To get the ball rolling, we'd like you to keep a video journal. View it as a way to document your thoughts, feelings and activities related to smoking. Enlist the help of family, friends and co-workers. Show us what it's like to live as a smoker. Where do you smoke? How often? With whom? Talk about your experience and let us know what others think about your habit.
Start your first recording by telling us about yourself:
Some helpful taping tips:
- Status (married, single, w/ kids etc.)
- How long you've smoked
- How many a day
1. Please make sure date and time are turned off.
2. Please don't have any television or music on in the background.
3. Try and make sure you have good light (the sun, lights on in the house) in front of you and not
4. Try to film yourself different ways:
Some questions to help you get started:
- Have someone hold the camera while you are driving (don't look at the camera but just talk about how your day is going).
- Have someone tape you walking or doing an activity and tell us how you feel.
- When you are by yourself, use a tripod and just look directly into the camera and tell us what you are thinking and feeling.
(Use these as a guideline. Feel free to talk about any smoke-related topic.)
- How many cigarettes do you smoke each day?
- Why did you smoke more today than you did yesterday?
- When you think about quitting smoking, how does that make you feel?
- Give us the date verbally as you are talking.
- When you need a cigarette and you can't have one, how do you feel?
- Did something happen today that made you smoke more or want to smoke more?
- How does smoking affect your eating?
- How much money do you spend on smoking?
- Why do you want to quit?
- Do you worry that smoking is causing damage to your body?
- Do you feel guilty that you smoked today?
- Are you hiding your smoking from your friends and/or family?
- What do your children or spouse or parents think about your smoking?
- How do you feel when your kids say things to you about smoking?
- Film yourself when you are feeling like you are about to have a cigarette.
- Treat this like your interactive journal.