Photo: © 2009 Jupiterimages Corporation
Most of us are brushing incorrectly—following these steps will keep you and your dentist happy, Dr. Levine says.
Pick the right toothpaste.
- Use a rounded-end, soft-bristle brush.
- Brush twice a day for 30 seconds in each quadrant, or a total of two minutes
- Angle the brush 45 degrees to the gumline—you want the bristles to get under the gum, gently.
- Replace your toothbrush every 30 to 45 days, because toothbrush heads harbor bacteria.
- Use a toothbrush sanitizer, and make sure to let the toothbrush air-dry, rather than storing it in a damp environment or in a drawer.