Immediate Rewards of Quitting
Kicking the tobacco habit offers some benefits that you'll notice right away and some that will develop over time. These rewards can improve your day-to-day life a great deal.
20 Minutes After Quitting
- Your breath smells better
- Stained teeth get whiter
- Bad smelling clothes and hair go away
- Your yellow fingers and fingernails disappear
- Food tastes better
- Your sense of smell returns to normal
- Everyday activities no longer leave you out of breath (for example, climbing stairs or light housework)
Your heart rate and blood pressure drops.
(Effect of Smoking on Arterial Stiffness and Pulse Pressure Amplification, Mahmud, A, Feely, J. 2003.)
12 Hours After Quitting
The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
(U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 1988)