Dennis Quaid's Medical Nightmare
Dennis meets Linda Burnes Bolton, the chief nursing officer who was called in the night his twins were given an overdose of Heparin. Linda says that night was life-changing for the nursing staff. "It was a wake-up call," she says. "It served as a catalyst to find ways to prevent those errors."
Cedars-Sinai has invested more than $100 million in new technology to make sure this kind of mistake never happens again. They've installed a computer bar code system for their medications, which helps to eliminate human error. Dr. Oz compares this technology to grocery store scanners.
Patient information must also be entered into a computer and is then checked multiple times. These computers are linked to automatic dispensing machines. "The key to this is that it dispenses only that dose that's ordered," Linda says.
Dennis says he applauds Cedars-Sinai for stepping up to the plate. "They spent a substantial amount of money, and they were very concerned about alleviating this [problem]," he says. "I think they really are up at the top now as far as raising the standard of care."