Dr. Mieres says the American Heart Association launched Choose to Move, a free 12-week fitness program, to help busy women develop a healthier lifestyle by moving more. "Thirty minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise most days of the week will help in the fight against heart disease," Dr. Mieres says. She shares with Bob some of the simple things that everyone can do to be more active:
- Walk a mile or two a day. Dr. Mieres says walking at a brisk pace has great health benefits.
- Park your car as far from the entrance as possible.
- Take the stairs.
- At lunch, go for a 10-minute walk.
- After dinner, walk around the house. Instead of watching TV while sitting on the couch, jog or march in place.
- Do things you enjoy, such as dancing, hiking or playing tennis.