If you're a mom trying to get your children to eat healthy foods, chef Domenica Catelli has some suggestions that might make you feel downright "mom-a-licious"! Domenica talks with Dr. Oz about her cookbook Mom-a-licious: Fresh, Fast, Family Food for the Hot Mama in You!
Domenica also offers these tips to help you make healthy foods part of your family's life:
- Make kefir a staple item in your refrigerator. The dairy drink is packed with probiotics that are great for your digestive system, and Domenica says kefir is readily available in nearly all grocery stores.
- Eat local and organic whenever possible. When it's not possible, Domenica says you should try to eat foods that are in season.
- Remove unhealthy items from your kitchen. Artificial sweetener, corn syrup and hydrogenated oil have got to go, Domenica says. "Replace them with more wholesome foods."
- Use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil. Instead of margarine and other oils, Domencia says you should look for an extra virgin olive oil with the lowest acidity level you can find.
- Use agave nectar as a sweetener. Agave, the plant that produces tequila, also produces a natural sweetener with a low glycemic level. Domenica says agave nectar tastes like something in between honey and maple syrup.
- Top foods with nutritional yeast. Instead of butter or artificial flavorings, use nutritional yeast to provide an extra kick in foods. It's high in protein and vitamins and has a great flavor, Domenica says. "It's great on everything from popcorn to toast, soups, potatoes, veggies—kids really love it," she says.
Get the recipes for Domenica's Lunchtime Lentil Soup
, Citrus and Sesame Granola
and Lemony Zucchini and Basil Quinoa Pilaf with Chicken