If what causes you stress is something you can avoid, then go for it! Unfortunately, most of what we find stressful is perceived that way because we can't avoid it. While you may not be able to avoid stressors, you most certainly can change how you react to them.
Here are just a few ways to find the calm:
- Don't worry about things you can't control—which includes just about everything (bad news control freaks everywhere!)
- Prepare to the best of your ability for events you know may be stressful, so that you are not operating in a wing and a prayer mode
- Try to look at change as a positive challenge, not a threat.
- Work to resolve conflicts with other people, even when you know you are right.
- Ask for help from family, friends, clergy or professionals.
- Set realistic goals at home and at work.
- Exercise on a regular basis.