A few hours later, Tanya says she pulled her right shoulder while lifting a heavy pot of potatoes off the stove. She felt a sharp pain but attributed it to muscle strain. "I just continued working," she says. "About eight, nine hours later, I just felt really tired."
When the pain in her shoulder worsened, Tanya went to the hospital to get it checked out. Doctors gave her pain pills, put her arm in a sling and sent her home to rest.
Later that night, Tanya's teeth started chattering, and her temperature skyrocketed to 105. She says she knew something was wrong...but never imagined it all stemmed from the small cut on her finger.
Little did Tanya know, a rare type of bacteria had gotten into the cut and was moving quickly through her body, eating away at her flesh.