Dr. Oz’s Insider Guide: Cost-Saving Secrets From Doctors' Offices
If you can’t afford to see a dentist, visit a dental school in your area. Dental-school clinics can save you as much as 75% on care and often run free screenings.
Know How to Negotiate
Most people simply don’t realize that they can negotiate costs at their dentist’s office. Here are some tips:
- If you’re scheduled to have multiple procedures, ask for a discount on the entire cost. For instance, if you’re due for a reconstructive treatment plan, you might be able to save up to 15%.
- Negotiate with the dentist instead of the folks at the front desk who are usually not in a position to offer discounts.
- Ask for a cash discount.
- If you refer a patient, ask if you’re eligible for a discount or a free service.
Eye Doctor’s Office
The 3 O’s
To avoid paying for unnecessary services, know the difference between the 3 O’s:
- Ophthalmologist: MD who can diagnose and treat complicated eye problems such as glaucoma, perform surgery, etc.
- Optometrist: Doctor of optometry skilled in carrying out basic eye exams and writing prescriptions.
- Optician: Trained professional who sells glasses and fills prescriptions.
Get your prescription from a doctor, but then go online to search for the best deals available. Before purchasing, ask your eye-care provider if they’ll beat the price.
EyeCareAmerica, the foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, helps eligible seniors obtain free or discounted vision care. The AARP, AAA and the VA also offer great discounts for seniors. Visit them online to find out more.
Purchase eyeglass frames from this doctor-approved website for as little as $8.
Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You’ll save money before stepping into any doctor’s office if you take good care of yourself by eating right, exercising and getting enough sleep. Click here to get started on your personal health plan from Dr. Oz.