- Check your fasting sugar first thing in the morning, before breakfast or any activity.
- Check again two hours after breakfast (start counting the time from the beginning of the meal).
- Check right before lunch.
- Check again two hours after lunch.
- Check right before dinner.
- Check again two hours after dinner.
Day 4 and After
- Repeat the above cycle, choosing a different meal each day.
- If there are several hours between the after-dinner test and when you go to bed, do a pre-bedtime test some days.
- On a few occasions, set an alarm clock and do a test in the middle of the night (2 or 3 a.m. for most people). This is especially valuable if you wake up with a high blood sugar level or do not sleep well.