There are certain companies out there that are just trying to make a buck off of you. The next time you're in the grocery story, keep an eye out for these false claims.
Some companies are labeling products as "blueberry" when really they're just manufacturing something that only looks
like blueberries—made up of sugars, starches, hydrogenated oils and food dye.
Fake Blueberry Warning Signs:
Not-So Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Be wary if "blueberry" is far down on a long list of ingredients.
- Watch for any red or blue dyes included in the ingredient list.
- Any modifier to the word blueberry like "crunchlet," "bit," or "cluster" on food packaging is a red flag.
True extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is the highest grade of olive oil. It comes from the first press of olives that takes place within less than 24 hours after the olives were harvested, and it has not been chemically treated with any additives. A UC Davis study found that two-thirds of common brand-name EVOO in stores in California were regular olive oil, or canola and nut oils. This is a huge scam because you may be paying twice as much for a low-grade olive oil.
Ensure your olive oil is real EVOO:
Honey, Without the Buzzed-About Benefits
- Do the sniff test: True EVOO has a fruity smell, like that of fresh olives.
- Make sure the oil comes in a darker bottle.
- Only one country of origin should be listed.
- Look for the USDA Organic stamp on the bottle.
Recent studies show that lots of honey on the market is ultra-filtered, meaning all of the pollen is taken out. You want pollen in your honey because it is a great source of antioxidants.
Make sure to get all the healing benefits of honey:
More Supermarket Cheat Sheets:
Dr. Oz's biggest supermarket time and money savers
Eat fabulously on $40 a week
Dr. Oz's longevity grocery list
- The ingredients list should only include honey—no sugar syrup, corn syrup or rice syrup.
- Organic honey is the safest bet to ensure you're getting pure honey with pollen.
- Buy honey at natural food stores and local farmers markets because it comes straight from the hive.