"You Won't Be Single for Long" Vodka Cream Pasta
Courtesy of Rachael Ray
January 01, 2006
It's Rachael Ray's most romantic dish!
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil , once around the pan in a slow stream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 shallots , minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 16 ounces pasta , such as penne rigate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil , shredded or torn
- Crusty bread , for passing
Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots. Gently sauté shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan (3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup). Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.
Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.