- 3 medium yellow squash , cut into 1/2-inch half-moons
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (make in the blender or food processor)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Bring the squash, onion, garlic and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the broth evaporates and the squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Stir in the sour cream and oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread in the baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and drizzle with the oil.
Bake until the juices are simmering and the top is crusty, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve hot.
Adapted from Art Smith's Back to the Table