Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 1 chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, portobello)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked white or brown or wild rice (follow package directions)
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. In a large roaster, combine olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and coat with oil. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes.
In a bowl, combine onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Toss with flour until coated.
Reduce heat to 400°F and add onion-mushroom mixture to roasting pan; cook for 10 minutes. Combine rosemary, garlic, white wine, bay leaf, and 1 1/2 cups water and add to roasting pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits on bottom of roaster. Continue to cook for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, add rice and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.