Servings: Serves 4
- 4 Tbsp. salted capers , rinsed, soaked in water for 10 minutes, then drained
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 cups packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti to pot; cook, stirring frequently the first 3 minutes and then occasionally, until pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes less than recommended on the package. While pasta is cooking, take 1/4 cup pasta water and set aside in a bowl.
Meanwhile, make pesto: Combine capers, garlic, anchovies, and parsley in a blender or food processor. Process, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed until parsley is finely chopped. Add oil in a fine stream, blending until creamy. Transfer sauce to a medium bowl; stir in cheese.
Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Stir reserved pasta water into pesto. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well to combine. Top with pepper and more cheese if desired. Serve immediately.