Matt and Ted Lee credit Southern Sideboards
from the Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi, for providing the starting point for this creamy soup.
Servings: Makes 8 servings
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium cucumbers , peeled, seeded and cut into large dice
- 2 small jalapeno chilies , seeded, and finely diced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain yogurt
Cut the cores from the tomatoes and discard them. Slice the tomatoes in half crosswise, and press them into a strainer set over a bowl to catch the tomato water. Tap the rim of the strainer against your palm so any liquid that clings to the seeds drops into the bowl. Discard seeds. Dice the tomatoes finely; transfer to the bowl with the tomato water. Add the onion, cilantro, and vinegar; toss. Season the mixture to taste with salt and black pepper and refrigerate.
Pulse the cucumbers, chilies, garlic, vegetable broth, and yogurt in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper. Chill 30 minutes. Divide soup among 8 bowls and garnish with tomato mixture.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 7, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.