Sweet berries meet savory flavors in this tangy, tasty salad.
Servings: Makes 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups hard winter wheatberries
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced red onion (1 large onion)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 scallions , white and green parts, minced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 2 small carrots , diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups salted water to a boil over high heat. Add wheatberries; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes, or until softened. In a colander or sieve, drain wheatberries.
Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, heat two tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove skillet from heat and add vinegar and remaining four tablespoons oil.
Transfer wheatberries to a large bowl and stir in onion mixture, scallions, bell pepper, carrots, salt and pepper. Allow salad to sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.