- 1 1/2 cups hard winter wheatberries
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced red onion (1 large onion)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 scallions , white and green parts, minced
- 1 ' ' red bell pepper , diced
- 2 small carrots , diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, heat two tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove skillet from heat and add vinegar and remaining four tablespoons oil.
Transfer wheatberries to a large bowl and stir in onion mixture, scallions, bell pepper, carrots, salt and pepper. Allow salad to sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings.