While it's important to eat healthy and exercise on a regular basis, some situations call for superfoods that will boost your energy, sharpen your mind or help you fit into your favorite pair of jeans, says Pam O'Brien, executive editor of Fitness
magazine. Gayle talks with Pam about advice featured in the article "What to Eat When You Need a Fix" in the magazine's July 2008 issue.
What to Eat When:
- You're feeling sleepy or sluggish: When you don't get enough sleep, the hormones that regulate your appetite are knocked out of whack, so you're always hungry, Pam says. The solution: Eat foods that are high in water content, such as oatmeal with berries. "They'll make you feel full, and they'll keep you satisfied longer," she says.
- You're grabbing something on the go: Reach for an egg salad sandwich. Pam says that eggs get a bad rap—they're actually really good for you. "They're high in protein, and protein keeps you satisfied," she says.
- You need to squeeze into a dress: Chow down on some pineapple. "Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelane, and that actually reduces bloating," Pam says. Avoid chewing sugar-free gum, which contains sorbitol and can increase bloating, she says.
- You want to boost your brain power: Enjoy a wrap with tuna, broccoli and cauliflower. Tuna contains omega-3 fatty acids, which will improve focus and concentration. Cruciferous vegetables help with your memory, Pam says.
- You're starving before dinner: Delicious almonds will curb your appetite with protein and heart-healthy fats, Pam says.