This recipe comes from the delicious Miami Beach Party Menu created by one of the most exciting Latin chefs working today.
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. za'atar (optional; available at Middle Eastern markets)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups diced (1/2-inch) seeded watermelon (about a quarter of a medium-size melon)
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes , each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small English cucumber , peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese , preferably French (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
To make vinaigrette: Put vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and za'atar (if using) in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil with salt and pepper.
To assemble salad: Put watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, olives, and dill in a large bowl. Drizzle vinaigrette and toss gently, taking care to not break up the fruit and vegetables. If desired, add salt and pepper to taste. Divide among salad plates and serve.
Adapted from Michy's restaurant and Cuisine à Latina by Michelle Bernstein. Copyright © 2008 (with permission from Houghton Mifflin).