Servings: Serves 8
- 1 small red onion , halved and sliced into thin half-moons
- Juice of 2 limes , plus more to taste
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet ripe watermelon , cut from rind and seeded
- 9 ounces feta cheese
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small bunch fresh mint , chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (preferably Kalamata)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place onion in a small bowl. Add lime juice and allow to steep.
Cut watermelon into approximately 1 3/4 inch triangular pieces (1/4-inch thick). Cut feta into similarly sized pieces and place in a large, wide, shallow bowl with watermelon. Tear off parsley leaves and add to bowl along with chopped mint.
Add onion, along with juices, to salad bowl. Add oil and olives; then, using your hands, toss salad very gently so that feta and melon chunks don't lose their shape. Add a good grinding of black pepper, and add lime juice to taste.