A spoonful of miso adds savory richness to a warm beef salad.
Get more Asian-inspired twists on your favorite dinner recipes
- 1 (2-inch) thick strip steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 small carrots, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small leeks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. white miso
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, preferably hot, such as Japanese-style or Colman's
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. (or less) cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, strings removed, halved diagonally
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 9 cups small, tender greens, such as baby arugula or Bibb lettuce
Active time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Note: Feel free to substitute any root vegetables for the carrots and radishes.
Season steak all over with 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper; cover loosely and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and leeks, cook for 1 minute, drain well, and transfer to a large plate; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, miso, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, mustard, sugar, and cayenne pepper; set aside. In a medium bowl, toss sugar snap peas and radishes with 1/2 tsp. salt; set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, flipping halfway and being sure to brown the sides, until rare to medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate, let rest for 5 minutes, and then thinly slice against the grain.
In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. lemon juice and 1/4 tsp. salt, then add greens and toss well. Drain radishes and sugar snap peas of any accumulated water. Divide miso mustard among 6 plates. Top with beef, carrots, leeks, sugar snap peas, radishes, and greens and serve.