Servings: Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup Vermont maple syrup *
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Vermont maple sugar (available at www.maplesyrupvermont.com)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- Ice cream or whipped cream , optional
To make crust: In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour, sugar and salt with a fork. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter. In a small bowl, beat together water, egg yolk and vinegar. Pour liquid over flour mixture and mix quickly with a fork (texture will be sticky). Using your hands, shape dough into a disc and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Remove from refrigerator; roll dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Place in a 9-inch pie dish and trim to 1 inch over the edge of the pan. Fold under and crimp edge with fingers to make a high fluted border. Chill at least 30 minutes.
To make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together all filling ingredients until smooth. Pour into chilled piecrust and bake about 35 minutes, or until edges are set but center jiggles slightly. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
* Dark amber maple syrup is preferred (available online at www.bairdfarm.com).