Servings: Serves 6
- 6 1-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil , for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic , peeled and sliced in half
- Coarse sea salt , to taste
- 1 to 2 ripe plum tomatoes , cut in half
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion , halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes , or to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 small Japanese eggplants , cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced fresh mozzarella
- 8 basil leaves , thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Basic and tomato: 5 minutes
Eggplant and mozzarella: 15 minutes
Spicy chickpeas: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
To make any bruschetta:
Once toppings are prepared, grill or toast bread, turning once, until marked with grill marks or deep golden brown but still soft in the center.
Rub a garlic clove over toasted bread. Use one of the toppings below, or another favorite.
To make tomato:
Rub a plum tomato half on toast, squeezing out a little pulp and seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
To make spicy chickpeas:
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, salt, and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Spoon over prepared toast. Drizzle with olive oil and salt if desired.
To make eggplant and mozzarella:
In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil until it just starts to smoke. Add onion and cook until soft, 9 to 10 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, stirring regularly, until eggplant has darkened and is soft. Add red wine vinegar and remove from heat; cool. Add mozzarella, basil, salt, and pepper. Spoon over prepared toast and serve.
Adapted from the Mario Batali Cooks! iPhone and iPad app.
Serving size: 1 bruschetta
Tomato: 130 calories, 6 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat
Spicy chickpeas: 385 calories, 10 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat. Plus 112 percent folate
Eggplant and mozzarella: 244 calories, 12 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat