Servings: Serves 4–6 (Makes 12 cups)
- 2 parsnips , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 baking potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 beets , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggplants (skin on), cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 medium Spanish onion , cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup green olives , halved and pitted
- 2 jalapeno chilies , seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup raisins
Combine parsnips, potatoes and beets in a Dutch oven or other large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large, deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, onion, garlic, olives and jalapeños; reduce heat to medium and sauté until eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in turmeric, cumin, stock, potatoes, parsnips, beets and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in parsley and raisins; season to taste before serving.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 12, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.