Slow-roasted beans make a savory, crunchy topping for these vegetable tacos. And save any you have left over to be served solo as a cocktail snack.
Get more deliciously inspired meals whipped up from pantry staples
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 bell peppers, any color, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 bunch radishes (6 to 8), thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, seeded and diced, plus 2 tsp. sauce
- 8 whole wheat or flour tortillas
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Note: In Spain beans are often roasted until crisp, then served as a bar snack. Here the beans are a crunchy garnish for soft tacos. You can substitute pinto or kidney beans for the black.
Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss together corn, 1 tablespoon oil, lime juice, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, bell peppers, and onion, and then spread on a large baking sheet. In a second large bowl, toss together remaining 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black beans, and then spread on a second large baking sheet. Roast vegetables and beans, tossing occasionally and rotating sheet trays halfway through, until beans are dried out and just crisp, 20 to 25 minutes, and vegetables are deep golden brown and softened, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, cilantro, vinegar, sugar, avocado, radishes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Wrap tortillas in foil, and place in oven for a few minutes to warm. Scoop roasted vegetables onto tortillas, top with cabbage salad, sour cream, and beans. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.