Servings: Serves 8
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 leeks (white part only), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 10 small cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh oregano
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms , wiped clean, tough stems removed, halved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 12 baby carrots , scrubbed
- 1/2 small butternut squash , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 12 to 15 small new potatoes , halved
- 2 medium parsnips , peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound haricots verts (or green beans), trimmed, steamed tender
- 12 Brussels sprouts , halved, steamed tender
- 2 medium yellow squash , cut into 1/2-inch pieces, steamed tender
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic cloves, and oregano. Sauté about 5 minutes until leeks are wilted. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add wine and increase heat. Simmer until all liquid is reduced. Add 5 cups of stock; remove mushrooms and set aside.
Add carrots, butternut squash, potatoes, and parsnips and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes—without stirring—until vegetables are just tender. Warm remaining cup of stock in a small pot and whisk in flour. Set aside.
Add haricots verts, Brussels sprouts, yellow squash, and mushrooms to saucepan and return to a simmer; cover and cook about 15 minutes. (Do not stir, to prevent breaking up vegetables.) Add broth-flour mixture and gently stir; simmer until slightly thickened. Add parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread or over rice or pasta.