- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar , preferably white balsamic
- 1 clove garlic , crushed through a press
- 1 large cucumber , peeled, seeded, grated and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil , for brushing the vegetables (or olive oil in a spray bottle)
- 1 pound asparagus , trimmed
- 2 medium zucchini , cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 medium yellow squash , cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 medium globe eggplant or 2 medium Japanese eggplants , cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch thick slices
- 2 medium red bell peppers (or use 1 red and 1 yellow pepper), tops and bottoms trimmed, flesh opened into one long strip, ribs and seeds removed. and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups assorted greens (preferably a combination of baby spinach, stemmed watercress, Bibb lettuce and Belgian endive leaves)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Chopped fresh chives , for garnish
Build a charcoal fire in an outdoor grill and let it burn until the coals are covered with white ashes. For a gas grill, preheat on high. Lightly oil the grill grate.
Brush the asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant with the oil (or spray with oil in a spray bottle). In batches, grill the vegetables, removing them from the grill as they are cooked. Place the asparagus on the grill across the grill grate, so they don't fall through. Grill, rolling the asparagus on the grill to turn, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes, depending on the size of the spears. Grill the zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant, turning once, until tender, about 8 minutes. Grill the peppers until the skin is charred and blistered, about 10 minutes. Cool, then peel.
Cool the vegetables. Chop into bite-size pieces and season to taste with salt and pepper. You may keep the vegetables separate, or mix them together.
Arrange the greens on a large platter. Arrange the vegetables in separate mounds on the greens (or mound the mixed greens in the center). Surround with the tomatoes and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately, with the dressing passed on the side.