Servings: Serves 12
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 small onion , coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots , cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 ribs celery , cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes with juice
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 celery root , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup split peas
- 1/3 cup lentils , preferably tiny French lentilles de Puy
- 1/4 small head chopped green cabbage (about 2 cups)
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini , scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 yellow squash , scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh herbs , such as basil, parsley or chives, for garnish
Bring the broth, water, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic and thyme to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour.
Add the celery root, barley, split peas and lentils and cook for 40 minutes.
Add the cabbage, potato, zucchini and squash. Simmer until all of the ingredients are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve hot, ladled into soup bowls and sprinkled with herbs.