Try this delicious recipe!
Servings: Serves 4–6
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 pounds veal stew meat , cut into 1 1/2 pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons olive oil , divided
- 3 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) baby carrots , peeled
- 3 cans (10 3/4 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 10 ounces porcini mushrooms cut in quarters (porcini can be substituted with other wild mushrooms such as chanterelles)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- Sour cream and chopped parsley , to serve
Place herb sprigs in a cheesecloth bag. Season veal with salt and pepper. Place flour in resealable plastic bag. In small batches, dredge veal in flour, shaking off excess.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter in 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown meat, adding oil and butter as needed. Remove meat after each turn, and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add more oil. Cook onions for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until almost tender. Add carrots, broth, wine, and tomato paste, and mix well. Add meat and bouquet garnish and place in oven. Heat to broil, then reduce heat to low and cover; let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes, or until veal is tender. Add mushrooms; simmer 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven, stir in lemon peel and serve immediately, garnished with sour cream and chopped parsley.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 15, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.