- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 tsp. fine salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until incorporated, scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the salt, baking soda and vanilla and mix at medium speed until blended. Add the flours and mix at low speed until smooth. Stir in the oats and nuts, if using, and mix until incorporated.
Drop generous tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets. Bake in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for about 15 minutes, switching the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are nearly set and golden brown. Let cool on the sheets for 1 minute, and then transfer the cookies with a metal spatula to a rack to cool completely.
To make Chocolate-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies: Add 1 1/2 cups of chocolate-covered raisins (or raisins, chopped dried fruit or semisweet chocolate chips or chunks) to the cookie dough.